sunnuntai 14. heinäkuuta 2013

Deborah Harkness - A Discovery of Witches

Author: Deborah Harkness
Book Name: A Discovery of Witches
Published: 2011
Pages: 688

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgHdJytTUykif8KiYe_TJ87zfNrBNsV5mjIWzEW2xAZywtWK4yBjmU5nu4wdvBlYNeet85vbUen0OeuriTQzgfiijgO9dT9oJShPmwTuYf0uwFuBTgyhZ-fl2-J41DytkRYZHJS-jtC0hzG/s1600/IMG_9097.JPG 



It begins with absence and desire.
It begins with blood and fear.
It begins with a discovery of witches.

In the mids of humans, there's a world of witches, vampires and daemons. They're not supposed to mix, it's forbidden, but when Diana, a witch who's trying to forget that she's a witch and refuses to use her powers, finds a manuscript that information about the creatures past and future. Every single witch, vampire and daemon finds out about this and starts to follow Diana. One vampire, Matthew, starts following Diana in hopes to get the manuscript to himself and so to vampires, but instead gets to know Diana and their relationship developes to something more.
Together they fight other creatures to keep their relationship and stay together, and try to find more about the manuscript so it won't get to wrong hands.

This book was something I've never read before. At first it seemed really good, but really soon it started to remind me too much of the many stories I've read before, and it didn't have much that seemed original to me. But it was so well written that even though I didn't like the story I continued to read. But as I read more, I found out myself liking the story more and more, and it started to feel more original and fresh, and the story developed to something amazing, new, fresh and totally worth reading.

I'm still amazed that I got to the end considering how I felt about it at first, and I even complained about it to my friend many times how it's so boring and the same that every single other lovestory seems to be about. I thought I would start another book any day, but the way it was written, it blew me away and kept me reading even though I only read a little every day. Also, I loved the fact that Diana loves tea and drinks it all the time. As a huge tea lover I was happily surprised that for once there was a book where someone loves tea instead of coffee, and I enjoyed most the parts where there was tea, at first. But as the story went on I felt more compelled to read more and more every day and I couldn't get enough of the story.

The sad thing is that this is the first of a series, and I haven't seen the second book anywhere in Finland, if it even exists yet. But I'm eagerly waiting for it to appear, and I'm sure it'll be just as amazing as the first one, if not better.

I have to admit that I haven't read any books that have witches, vampires and daemons, but it felt like the usual creatures, vampires and werewolfs, have been replaced with other creatures, witches and daemons. But it was so different in the end compared to every other book with creatures in it. I would warmly recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy, witches or vampires. Daemons don't have a very big part in this, but it's interesting when they're mentioned.

All and all this was a good read, and I'm really glad I made it till the end. I would maybe give this 5/5 stars, even though the beginning wasn't that good to me, because of the way it was written. It made every sentence seem good no matter what the contents and kept you reading even after a longer pause since you knew it would be worth it.

I'm sorry I haven't made a review in so long, but I sincerely haven't gotten much out of the books I have read, and I haven't read that much. I couldn't form an opinion about the books I did finish, and they seemed so ordinary or I read them so slowly that I didn't feel I could get enough out of them to make a full review, and I didn't want to make a half of a review just to get something here.

But right now I'm reading Beautiful creatures and I must say I'm loving it, and I'll certainly make a review of it next!!

Till next time loveliess~~<3 data-blogger-escaped-p="">

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti